Skip to main content

Colour | planning for a ceremony | setting the tone

Well, what interesting times we live in.  So many planned for events hanging in the balance, it takes courage to make a decision, so much easier if someone makes it for us.  I think that those of you who have opted to postpone until next year will find it easier than those who are playing the will we/won't we game.

This summer would have seen many weddings in outside venues - the weather has been perfect too grr! I have been busy walking my dog and the flowers are stunning which got me to thinking about colour.

Often a bride will say to me that she would like red as the principal colour in her design, the colour of love, a hot passionate, statement colour ... these two flowers are in my garden at the moment.  The strong crimson peony and the bright, orangey scarlet of the poppy.   They are so different and yet they are both red.

So when you are planning an event are you clear about what you really want?  The choices are as marked as the two flowers you see.

You might choose a church wedding or you might go down the secular route.  If you chose to be married in a civil ceremony would you go to the registry office and say your vows there, would you ask the registrar to visit you at a licenced venue, or maybe you would choose to marry your beloved in a place that is personal to you.

Your choice is as personal and individual as the colours you
see before you and making the right choice is key to memorable event that fits your view.


 Time is obviously weighing on my hands a little; because then I started thnking about the language of flowers and when I was a child there was a book in the shelf at my Grandparents' house - it was flowers in Shakespeare.  "I know a bank where the wild thyme grows ... " I don't remember the exact title and it was mislaid sometime ago.

I have used rosemary for rememberance, pansies to remember, speedwell for the traveller.  The Victorians had a whole language of intent tied up in their posies. 

We use flowers and colour to signify intention, mood, desire, sympathy.  Today we are using the rainbow to thank those who are on the front line in the fight against Covid19.

So my blog today is to remind you to enjoy looking about you, take joy from the simple things and plan your events carefully. 

We have time to savour and dream and whatever it is that you have in mind, there will be a colour, a flower, a place and a scent that will coalesce to make your ceremony a memorable one.

Comments

  1. I love your use of flowers as story- tellers, not just a beautiful part of the ceremony.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Respect for the Bereaved

In the last year I have conducted all manner of funerals. There have been the timely deaths of beloved people where the ceremony has been one of quiet, or raucous, celebration of a life lived to the full and ended peacefully. There have been tragic deaths through suicide and illness, where the person has been snatched from those that love them in a way that is cruel and heartless.  A cold, bleak time when all you can do is hug the pain into some sort of temporary submission. There have been slow lingering departures where there has been time to prepare and say goodbye, to plan the ending and to tie up all the loose ends, so to speak. I have been in awe of the dignity and composure of both those leaving and those being left.  The stories that I have had the honour of retelling.  The poignant words written by children about their Grandparents. The gut twisting pain of listening to a husband talk of his wife and what she meant to him. The keepsakes that I have had pressed

The Country Celebrant and Carer

The Country Celebrant and Carer:  Loss Here we go again, preparing to celebrate the family are gathering the presents are bought and wrapped. But under the tree and in my heart there is a hole so small and dark that only I can see it. Sometimes I lose myself for a moment and the hole is diminished but mainly it pulsates with pain and loss. I can smooth the edges with light and warmth I can fill the void with laughter but the cold creeps back and the laughter fades away. Where are you?  Are you safe and sound? Do you look at us from your eyrie? Can you hear our dreams and see our wishes? I would turn back the clock I would rekindle your fire that burnt so bright I would walk a thousand steps to see you again. To hear your words and see your smile to share a hug and be with you again would make my day complete. In the meantime, I will smile and nod and remember you in my heart and look for you in the shared memories that we have.

Naming Ceremonies

What is in a Name? It has been a marvellous summer in Hampshire.  We have had beautiful, balmy days and there have been some glorious Naming Ceremonies. I have been able to work with families who have had a new baby and wanted to create a truly personal celebration of the arrival of that joyous little bundle into their lives. I have also been immensely impressed by a young man who, at the age of 7, was able to join his Mother and Step-Father in a new family with a whole fresh start to his life.  The ceremony was pocket sized, very few honoured guests and although there was an underlying sadness of what had been lost; I thought that this young man made everyone feel very hopeful and positive for him and that is quite something for someone so young. I wrote this poem for a Mother and her Daughter in advance of her naming day.  Her celebration will be in the early New Year.  I can't wait to find out what she will be called. What is in a Name? I will look at you and our e