Skip to main content

Confessions of a Doula's Dog | Compassion | Country Walks

I thought that some of you might be interested in my work as a Doula.

I have worked with families for a very long time; I am a Mother to three wonderful and very nearly grown-up people and I have run a pre-school in Hampshire since forever.

When my Father died I wanted to honour him by burying him on his farm.  I struggled to talk to him about his wishes right until the end; I did not have the courage to raise such a personal issue.

As is so often the case, events overtook us ... he was terminally ill and had made it clear to the doctors that he wanted no further intervention.  He died in his own bed with those whom he loved carrying on as best they could around him.

We buried him in a clearing on the farm.  The only people present were his immediate family, a very compassionate funeral director (who happened to be my son's rugby coach) and the dogs.

I knew then that I needed to learn to do this job properly and by that I don't mean the formality of being a celebrant but the humanity of being there for someone as they find their way through the morass of paperwork; fending off well meaning intervention from those who think they know what it is that YOU want.

The reality is that until you are faced with the end you will not know what it is that you want.  You will go around in circles trying to be brave and to listen to what others want - all the time submitting to a raft of decisions that you cannot really process and that may or may not result in a death that you feel was right.  That might sound a strange thing to say; no death is right - but the way that we make our ending, the chance to repair fences and to say a proper goodbye is, to me, the most important part of a good death; a death where everyone feels as comfortable as it is possible to feel.

I find that a long walk with my dog is the perfect thinking ground for what feels right for me and I offer that service to others.  We may not say very much to each other - it is the time to just be present; to look at the world quietly.

Sometimes the bereaved person as plenty to say - they need to clear their minds of all the junk that has accumulated from the protracted business of dying.  My dog does not judge them, he is delighted to be outside searching for squirrels.

Sometimes you may be overcome with emotion - a fallen log and an absorbent Jack Russell is ideal, cry it out, scream till your lungs hurt - you will feel better for it.  But be certain that I am there to hold your hand and to listen to your sadness and from what you say and the way that you are; I will know your pain ... I cannot lessen it, I do not have the answers but me and my dog can be with you and we will not walk on by.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Country Celebrant and Carer

The Country Celebrant and Carer:  Loss Here we go again, preparing to celebrate the family are gathering the presents are bought and wrapped. But under the tree and in my heart there is a hole so small and dark that only I can see it. Sometimes I lose myself for a moment and the hole is diminished but mainly it pulsates with pain and loss. I can smooth the edges with light and warmth I can fill the void with laughter but the cold creeps back and the laughter fades away. Where are you?  Are you safe and sound? Do you look at us from your eyrie? Can you hear our dreams and see our wishes? I would turn back the clock I would rekindle your fire that burnt so bright I would walk a thousand steps to see you again. To hear your words and see your smile to share a hug and be with you again would make my day complete. In the meantime, I will smile and nod and remember you in my heart and look for you in the shared memories that we have.

Respect for the Bereaved

In the last year I have conducted all manner of funerals. There have been the timely deaths of beloved people where the ceremony has been one of quiet, or raucous, celebration of a life lived to the full and ended peacefully. There have been tragic deaths through suicide and illness, where the person has been snatched from those that love them in a way that is cruel and heartless.  A cold, bleak time when all you can do is hug the pain into some sort of temporary submission. There have been slow lingering departures where there has been time to prepare and say goodbye, to plan the ending and to tie up all the loose ends, so to speak. I have been in awe of the dignity and composure of both those leaving and those being left.  The stories that I have had the honour of retelling.  The poignant words written by children about their Grandparents. The gut twisting pain of listening to a husband talk of his wife and what she meant to him. The keepsakes that I have had pressed

Naming Ceremonies

What is in a Name? It has been a marvellous summer in Hampshire.  We have had beautiful, balmy days and there have been some glorious Naming Ceremonies. I have been able to work with families who have had a new baby and wanted to create a truly personal celebration of the arrival of that joyous little bundle into their lives. I have also been immensely impressed by a young man who, at the age of 7, was able to join his Mother and Step-Father in a new family with a whole fresh start to his life.  The ceremony was pocket sized, very few honoured guests and although there was an underlying sadness of what had been lost; I thought that this young man made everyone feel very hopeful and positive for him and that is quite something for someone so young. I wrote this poem for a Mother and her Daughter in advance of her naming day.  Her celebration will be in the early New Year.  I can't wait to find out what she will be called. What is in a Name? I will look at you and our e