Skip to main content

The Role of the Celebrant

I have been asked now, by a number of people, what a civil celebrant does that is different to a registrar or religious leader

do not want to offend anyone by leaving religious belief at the door; I was married in Church, I am confirmed and my children were christened. I am also a realist and I am aware that the family dynamic is altering; that fewer people hold religious beliefs and that many ceremonies these days are secular.

Every element of a celebrant ceremony is designed to show the participants their role in the joining together of two people so that there is recall and a sense of collective responsibility for the happiness of the couple; the security and future of the child or the cherished memory of the person who has died.

Weddings
Handfasting ribbons

My ceremonies are personal – no two are the same; they are hand written and my aim is to distil the spirit of the couple that I am marrying and present it to them and their guests as the finest expression of love that they have for each other and a tangible reminder of why they have chosen to spend their lives together.

Celebrant weddings have to be ratified by a Registrar but they can take place anywhere – we do not have to use licensed premises.

If I were to conduct a ceremony today, the couple would have the choice to marry in surroundings that are special to them, to be unconstrained by time or style of ceremony and they would have control of the words spoken and the rituals observed that signify union to them.

We use ancient Celtic traditions of hand fasting and broom jumping; we use Hebrew rituals of breaking glass. There are ceremonies involving light and colour that are uplifting and engaging and help to illustrate the union that they represent.

Naming Tree



Naming Ceremonies

Naming ceremonies are the chance for the parents, grandparents, mentors or sponsors and selected guests to celebrate that young life and to show their accountability to that child throughout life.

The mentors/sponsors or trusted friends of the child in a naming ceremony will read a verse, sing a song or perform a ritual to show everyone their significance in the life of the child. 

Parents, grandparents and other important family and friends can be bound by a ribbon to the child in a chain of collective love and protection. The child's name and its' significance will be revealed and promises to guide and support that child will be made by all those present.

Memory Stones

Funerals


Funerals give me the chance to portray through words, poetry and music the character, the essence of the person who has died and to allow those who mourn to be caught up in remembering him with love and affection.

Funerals are the one certainty in life – my favourite part of preparing a funeral is the time spent with the family talking about “Fred”; it is often teary and we drink quantities of tea but the process of recall and the chance to talk honestly about “Fred” with a comparative stranger is hugely cathartic. Most families open up after a bit and we have a giggle and I write until my arm nearly drops off and I come away with a jumble of funny stories, half remembered anecdotes and a sense of who Fred was and and what he meant to those who mourn him.

I will then spend 4/5 hours writing his story – weaving in poetry and music that gives comfort to those who attend his funeral. My aim is for everyone to feel that Fred was with them, that they have learned or recalled an aspect of Fred that is important and will make them proud to be his mourner.

Funerals in woodland or indeed in many churches and cremations in the smaller and less hurried crematoria are the most rewarding part of a celebrant's job.

Thank you for reading this. The Country Celebrant




Comments

  1. I really love your description of our work, you've really captured the essence of what makes the ceremonies so different and new. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Respect for the Bereaved

In the last year I have conducted all manner of funerals. There have been the timely deaths of beloved people where the ceremony has been one of quiet, or raucous, celebration of a life lived to the full and ended peacefully. There have been tragic deaths through suicide and illness, where the person has been snatched from those that love them in a way that is cruel and heartless.  A cold, bleak time when all you can do is hug the pain into some sort of temporary submission. There have been slow lingering departures where there has been time to prepare and say goodbye, to plan the ending and to tie up all the loose ends, so to speak. I have been in awe of the dignity and composure of both those leaving and those being left.  The stories that I have had the honour of retelling.  The poignant words written by children about their Grandparents. The gut twisting pain of listening to a husband talk of his wife and what she meant to him. The keepsakes that I have had pressed

The Country Celebrant and Carer

The Country Celebrant and Carer:  Loss Here we go again, preparing to celebrate the family are gathering the presents are bought and wrapped. But under the tree and in my heart there is a hole so small and dark that only I can see it. Sometimes I lose myself for a moment and the hole is diminished but mainly it pulsates with pain and loss. I can smooth the edges with light and warmth I can fill the void with laughter but the cold creeps back and the laughter fades away. Where are you?  Are you safe and sound? Do you look at us from your eyrie? Can you hear our dreams and see our wishes? I would turn back the clock I would rekindle your fire that burnt so bright I would walk a thousand steps to see you again. To hear your words and see your smile to share a hug and be with you again would make my day complete. In the meantime, I will smile and nod and remember you in my heart and look for you in the shared memories that we have.

Naming Ceremonies

What is in a Name? It has been a marvellous summer in Hampshire.  We have had beautiful, balmy days and there have been some glorious Naming Ceremonies. I have been able to work with families who have had a new baby and wanted to create a truly personal celebration of the arrival of that joyous little bundle into their lives. I have also been immensely impressed by a young man who, at the age of 7, was able to join his Mother and Step-Father in a new family with a whole fresh start to his life.  The ceremony was pocket sized, very few honoured guests and although there was an underlying sadness of what had been lost; I thought that this young man made everyone feel very hopeful and positive for him and that is quite something for someone so young. I wrote this poem for a Mother and her Daughter in advance of her naming day.  Her celebration will be in the early New Year.  I can't wait to find out what she will be called. What is in a Name? I will look at you and our e