Skip to main content

The Country Celebrant: Striking the right note

The Country Celebrant: Funerals:

 It seems to me that striking the right note is the key to a good funeral.  It does not matter whether that is achieved by a piece of poetry, some music, the images that are displayed or the eulogy.  Whatever way you look at it, you have one chance to distil the essence of the person and if that key note is spot on, everything else falls into place.

This year I have had the chance to work with a number of families - each one different, all united in their desire to provide a meaningful send off to someone that meant something to them.  Some have been poignant, like the brother who read the diary entry from his brother's last day at school.  Some have been tragic and the best, for me, was the one for the sister who genuinely believed that no one would attend her brother's funeral; we had standing room only and luckily it was quite chilly, or we would have had it rather warm!

I always take a posy of flowers from my garden to place on the coffin at my funerals.  I try to pick flowers that have some significance - this rose was for a lovely lady taken too early in life, her family were bereft and her friends clung together in their sadness.  The colour and the scent reminded me of her and as I looked around me I could see splashes of pink on all the mourners; I hope that it helped to cheer proceedings.

It is easy to find something bright and hopeful in the garden in the summer, but as the winter draws in and the rain teems down I look outside and can see very little to alleviate the drear.

I am inclined to look for holly berries and pine cones - but that seems too redolent of Christmas and I am aware of the profound sadness of losing someone that you love close to what should be a festive and joyful, family time of year.

My own Father died in the Autumn and some very close family friends made a wonderful display for his coffin, a mixture of country flowers, seed heads and pheasant feathers.  I love the simple honesty of their design, Father was a farmer and a country man and he would have appreciated the components of his flowers; particularly the wild oats, but there is another story!!


I am writing a funeral at the moment for a gentleman who worked in the Far East for most of his life.  The anecdotes are out of this world; he belonged to a different time and a set of values and modes that are so touching in their chivalry, that I feel that it would have been a real honour to have known him.  There is a gentle humour in the stories that I have been told and I know that I have only just scratched the surface of the character of the man.

I am searching for that drop of scent, I think in a piece of poetry, but possibly prose that will  give me the key note for the funeral and it is the very best part of what I do as a celebrant.  I do not mean that I am a master of it, far from it; it is the most satisfying part of writing a funeral and the most frustrating all in one go.

www.thecountrycelebrant.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Respect for the Bereaved

In the last year I have conducted all manner of funerals. There have been the timely deaths of beloved people where the ceremony has been one of quiet, or raucous, celebration of a life lived to the full and ended peacefully. There have been tragic deaths through suicide and illness, where the person has been snatched from those that love them in a way that is cruel and heartless.  A cold, bleak time when all you can do is hug the pain into some sort of temporary submission. There have been slow lingering departures where there has been time to prepare and say goodbye, to plan the ending and to tie up all the loose ends, so to speak. I have been in awe of the dignity and composure of both those leaving and those being left.  The stories that I have had the honour of retelling.  The poignant words written by children about their Grandparents. The gut twisting pain of listening to a husband talk of his wife and what she meant to him. The keepsakes that I have had pressed

The Country Celebrant and Carer

The Country Celebrant and Carer:  Loss Here we go again, preparing to celebrate the family are gathering the presents are bought and wrapped. But under the tree and in my heart there is a hole so small and dark that only I can see it. Sometimes I lose myself for a moment and the hole is diminished but mainly it pulsates with pain and loss. I can smooth the edges with light and warmth I can fill the void with laughter but the cold creeps back and the laughter fades away. Where are you?  Are you safe and sound? Do you look at us from your eyrie? Can you hear our dreams and see our wishes? I would turn back the clock I would rekindle your fire that burnt so bright I would walk a thousand steps to see you again. To hear your words and see your smile to share a hug and be with you again would make my day complete. In the meantime, I will smile and nod and remember you in my heart and look for you in the shared memories that we have.

Naming Ceremonies

What is in a Name? It has been a marvellous summer in Hampshire.  We have had beautiful, balmy days and there have been some glorious Naming Ceremonies. I have been able to work with families who have had a new baby and wanted to create a truly personal celebration of the arrival of that joyous little bundle into their lives. I have also been immensely impressed by a young man who, at the age of 7, was able to join his Mother and Step-Father in a new family with a whole fresh start to his life.  The ceremony was pocket sized, very few honoured guests and although there was an underlying sadness of what had been lost; I thought that this young man made everyone feel very hopeful and positive for him and that is quite something for someone so young. I wrote this poem for a Mother and her Daughter in advance of her naming day.  Her celebration will be in the early New Year.  I can't wait to find out what she will be called. What is in a Name? I will look at you and our e